Who Are Schedule 2 Employers?
In Schedule 2 of the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act there is a list of the types of employers that are permitted to self-insure the cost of their WSIB claims. The list of employers eligible to be in Schedule 2 include:
- Firms funded by public funds (from the federal, provincial and/or municipal governments)
- Firms legislated by the province but self-funded
- A number of other firms who are privately owned but involved in federally regulated industries such as telephone, airline, shipping and railway
The purpose of the Schedule 2 Employers’ Group is to:
- Provide a forum for communication and exchange of information regarding workers’ compensation and occupational health and safety;
- Provide opportunities for the professional development of its members;
- Present an annual not for profit conference on workers’ compensation, disability management and related topics;
- Review legislation and policy initiatives of the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board and related agencies;
- Present the position of the Employers’ Group to the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board and government agencies, and
- Co-operate and participate with appropriate agencies or groups when the Employers’ Group deems it suitable or necessary.
While our events and activities are geared primarily toward Schedule 2 employers, Schedule 1 employers may also find our programs relevant to them, and are welcome to participate.
The Schedule 2 Employers’s Group was established in 1989 to provide a forum for discussion of issues related to workers’ compensation and to organize a conference to assist health and safety and disability management professionals expand their knowledge and understanding of issues impacting employers that were self-insuring the costs of their WSIB claims.
2019 Executive Committee
Partner, CompClaim, A Consulting Practice of Mathews, Dinsdale & Clark
Lawyer & WSIB Department Leader
School Board’s Co-operative Inc.
CEO, School Boards’ Co-operative Inc.
Ministry of Government Services
Senior HR Consultant
City of Toronto
Special Advisor, Workers’ Compensation Appeals